Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Nerdy Cat is Nerdy

So I'm back to school now. Unpacked, back with roomies, are are as awesome as I remember them.

I normally wake up at 6:30, at the cafeteria for food by 7:30 (and shivering like sin from the OMG cold).

Monday/Wednesday/Friday:

8-8:50 am: CSC 138, Basic Computer Science. Internets, Word, Excel, Powerpoint, etc.
I start out in the Hodge building, which is about as far from the dorms as you can get.
Then I sneak behind a couple buildings, down a really steep, usually frosted hill, across a creek in the woods, then up a steep hill to the Annexes for my next class.

9-9:50 am: Bio 102, Zoology. Love Dr. Connors, omg *heart*
He remembered me, and even saw me reading some bulletins outside his office.
"What you doing Ms. Maier? Looking for trouble?"
"Oh yessir, always."
"You know if you go looking for trouble, you'll often find it..."
"...well I did find you :P"
"See? You're going to find trouble soon enough." And he just laughed. Love that professor, so awesome, so enjoyable to listen and talk to.

Then back all the way over the river and through the woods to last class.

10-10:50: Gov 201, American Government.
Feels like a high school class. Take notes off the overheard, teacher lectures, read the text, not very interesting. I'm always tired as hell by now.


2-3:15 Eng 102, Composition and Literature. Love Dr. Caster. So fun. We spent 30 minutes joking about how dolphins are optimistic and always smiling at you. He doesn't want us to read poetry or prose or anything like that, but more so how people communicate ideas and make their arguments. Now THAT'S what I want to learn. Only have this class Monday and Wednesday though.


Tuesday:
8-9:15 Bio 330: Microbiology. So far so good. Dr. Turner is interesting, and there's a lot of cool nursing majors to talk to in there.

9:25-12:05 Bio 330 Lab
I like Pr. Ferris. She's awesome. Ended up staying late to finish the lab, just because I was having so much fun looking at the critters in the pond water. I was chasing down a water flea that I wanted to get a closer look at, but my sample ended up drying, killing him, fulfilling my desire to rid the earth of non-essential parasites. Then I found some "Protoslow", which slows down protozoans with a glucose solution that has a higher viscosity than water and so makes it harder for them to swim.

I remember yelling at the buggers at the end of lab, "Hah! Not so fast now, are you?!"
Pr. Ferris was cleaning and looked to me, "Excuse me?"
"The lil protozoans! They think they're so fast, but put them on sugar and they react opposite kids." She just laughed.

We also did some swabs that we put on agar. Everyone did things that people touch, like buttons or faucets or handles. I asked if I could swab my mouth, more specifically my cheek sides, since the q-tip was sterile. She said yes. I wonder what I'll get different?

Thursday:
Microbiology at 8 again, but don't have lab until 1:30-4:30ish for Biology 102. Basically dissection. Fun stuff. I don't want to cut rats. I like rats D:

I'm out almost $300 by the bookstore. Just simply couldn't get my books online for cheaper or fast enough. :(

I got a new labcoat though, for microbiology. I really need to hem the sleeves, or at least pull them back, but their smallest size was so huge on me. Definitely not the "hot nerdy geek" look I was going for. You know, since I totally need to make a good impression on the protozoans.

Overall, I'm tired by 3 oclock. I take a nap until 5 or 6, then I go eat. I just need to get into the routine of going to bed around...now, and then get used to waking up early.

The nightmares aren't helping though.

No comments: